Metra Fare Table
Click here for a fare table. .
Types of tickets and where to buy them
Metra sells a variety of passes and tickets as detailed below. Passes cost a flat rate and allow for unlimited rides during the relevant time period, while the cost of One-Way and 10-Ride ticket is based on a distance-based fare system consisting of ten fare zones. (Riders are charged based on the number of zones they travel through. Click here to see a system map with fare zones. To determine your One-Way or 10-Ride fare, you must know your originating station and your destination station.)
Details about each ticket type are below. All ticket types except Weekend Passes and Day Passes are available at a reduced rate for K-12 students, seniors and other special classes as described below. Use the fare calculator above to see the cost of each type of ticket, full fare and reduced, between your selected origin and destination stations. For information about where to buy tickets, click here. New riders can find more information about the Metra system here.
For travel from one station destination to another. One-Way Tickets are valid for 14 days from the date of purchase. Metra does not sell round-trip tickets; such trips require two One-Way Tickets, two punches on a 10-Ride Ticket or a pass. One-Way Tickets are not refundable.
- The $6 Day Pass is valid for unlimited travel within one to three fare zones all day until 3 a.m. the next morning. Click here to see a system map with fare zones.
- The $10 Day Pass is good for unlimited rides on all Metra lines all day until 3 a.m. the next morning.
- Both passes can be purchased only in the Ventra app and are good for 7 days from date of purchase.
- When purchasing a day pass, passengers should select the furthest zone they wish to travel while using the pass. Passengers cannot pay to upgrade a three-zone pass into an all-zone pass onboard the train; those who attempt to use a three-zone pass to travel more than three zones will be charged for a One-Way Ticket.
- Day Passes are not refundable.
Good for 10 one-way trips between the zones indicated. Ten-Ride Tickets are valid for 90 days from the date of purchase. Ten-Ride Tickets are not refundable. This ticket is ideal for occasional commuters or leisure travelers. One ticket can be shared by people riding together. Ten-Ride Tickets are not refundable.
Super Saver Monthly Unlimited Ride Pass
New! Metra is now selling a $100 flat-rate Super Saver Monthly Pass valid for unlimited travel throughout the Metra system all month. The pass will be offered through December 2023. (The reduced fare price is $70.)
Customers will still be asked to provide their origin and destination stations (or zone pair) when buying a pass from an agent, ticket vending machine or Ventra app - this helps us track ridership trends. But while Monthly Passes will still display a zone pair (indicating the fare zones of the riders’ origin and destination stations), conductors will know that all Monthly Passes are good for unlimited travel across all fare zones.
Monthly Passes are for the exclusive use of the purchaser and are not transferable. Monthly Passes are valid until noon on the first business day of the following month. Refunds for unused Monthly Passes are available per the guidelines that can be found here, but lost, destroyed or stolen Monthly Passes will not be refunded or replaced. Refunds are subject to a $5 fee per transaction if returned after the first day of the month and returns are prorated (see the Monthly Pass refund policy here).
Connecting Pass for CTA and Pace
CTA and Pace are now selling a $30 Regional Connect Pass to Metra Monthly Pass holders that will provide unlimited rides all month on CTA and Pace with no day or time restrictions. The new pass replaces two passes formerly available to Metra Monthly Pass holders: the Link-Up Pass, which for $55 a month provided rides on the CTA during weekday rush hours and on Pace at all times; and the PlusBus Pass, which for $30 a month provided unlimited rides only on Pace. The Regional Connect pass can be purchased from ticket agents or in the Ventra app. Regional Connect Passes are not refundable.
The $7 Saturday or Sunday Day Pass is good for unlimited rides on either Saturday or Sunday.
- Saturday/Sunday Day Passes purchased through the Ventra App must be used within 14 days, including the day of purchase.
- Saturday/Sunday Day Passes purchased at ticket windows must be used within the same calendar month of the day of purchase.
- Saturday/Sunday Day Passes purchased from ticket vending machines or onboard personnel are valid only for the weekend of the day of sale.
Once activated or punched, Saturday/Sunday Day Passes expire at 3 a.m. on the next calendar day. Saturday/Sunday Day Passes are not refundable.
The $10 Weekend Pass (available in the Ventra app only) is good for unlimited rides on both weekend days. Weekend Passes must be used within 14 days of the date of purchase, and once activated, expire at 3 a.m. on the first calendar day following the weekend of use. Weekend Passes are not refundable.
Either pass can be used in conjunction with Metra's Family Fares (see below).
Reduced Fares for Seniors, Students, Military, etc.
Senior Citizen/Disability Fares
Senior citizens 65 or older, customers with disabilities and Medicare cardholders who have an RTA-issued Reduced Fare Permit are eligible for a reduced fare ticket. If you are enrolled in the Illinois Circuit Breaker program and have an RTA-issued Ride Free Circuit Permit, you are eligible to ride free. If you are not in possession of either permit, you must contact the RTA to apply. Click here for more information.
U.S. Military Fares
Military personnel may purchase One-Way or 10-Ride Tickets at the reduced fare rate provided they present proper military identification indicating they are on active duty. These privileges are extended to all branches of the military: Marines, Air Force, Army, Navy and Coast Guard. Military fare tickets are sold only at Metra ticket offices or on trains.
Full time students enrolled in a grade school or high school can purchase a reduced One-Way, 10-Ride or Monthly Pass. College students are not included in the program. Student fares are in effect at all times. When purchasing a ticket, students must present a valid letter of certification from their school (on school stationery) or present a valid school I.D. (both are valid through the end of the calendar year) bearing the student's name, school name and authorized signature. Student identification card or letter of certification must be displayed along with the ticket to the conductor. Failure to do so will result in full fare payment. Student tickets are not transferable. Any questions concerning the above may be directed to Metra Passenger Services at 312-322-6777.
All fare policies concerning standard student fares also apply to home-schooled students. To meet documentation requirements, the student must present a letter with the name and address of the person providing the home schooling as teacher/principal at the top, signed and notarized. Click here to download form.
Children's Weekday Fares
Children ages 7 to 11 save 50 percent over One-Way fares. Children under 7 ride free when accompanied by a fare-paying adult (up to three children free per adult). Under no circumstances will children under 7 years of age be permitted to travel alone.
On weekends and select holidays, kids ride FREE with Metra's Family Fares. Up to three children age 11 and under ride free with each fare-paying adult. Purchase a ticket or use your Monthly Pass or 10-Ride Ticket as the adult fare. Family Cars are available on weekends and non-rush hour weekday trains. Family Fares are also available on weekdays during the summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Lower Fares on Metra Electric and Rock Island lines
Under the Fair Transit South Cook Pilot subsidized by Cook County, all riders on the Metra Electric and Rock Island lines will be charged the reduced fare rate for all tickets. These tickets are not valid on any other Metra line. The reduced fare rates can be found on this chart.
Save Money with Transit Benefits
To find out about how you can save money using pre-tax dollars to pay for commuting costs, click here.
Prearranged groups of 25 passengers or more can save up to 50 percent off the cost of regular One-Way fares. Group rates are available on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and after 7 p.m., and anytime Saturday, Sunday and national recognized holidays (some restrictions may apply). Groups must consist of a minimum of 25 passengers and cannot exceed 135 passengers.
- No more than one group on the train at the same time. Metra will contact the group within two business days of receipt of Group Travel Request Form.
- The entire group must be together on platform ready to board train.
- Group requests approvals will be made on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Minimum 21-day advance notice required.
- If the size of your group meets the requirements specified above, please complete the necessary Group Travel Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted within two business days.
- Full payment (checks only) and final headcount must be received a minimum of 14 days in advance of your trip. Changes to the headcount cannot be accommodated. Checks must be payable to Metra-Group Travel and mailed to Metra’s Passenger Services Department at 547 W. Jackson Blvd – 10th Floor, Chicago, IL 60661
- A Group Travel Boarding Pass will be issued to you once full payment is received. Boarding Pass must be presented to crew members upon boarding.
- A 24-hour notification of a cancellation is necessary for a refund.
- Click here to view and print a Group Travel Request Form
- Questions? Call a Group Travel Representative at 312-322-6772
*Metra is not responsible for any inconvenience resulting from delayed, canceled or missed train and/or connections due to mechanical failures, accidents, track obstructions or other issues.